Fiancé(e) (K-1) Visa

Fiancé(e) K-1 Visa
A K-1 Visa or Fiancé(e) Visa is a nonimmigrant visa that begins the process of obtaining permanent residency. It allows a fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for the purpose of marriage within 90 days of entry A K-1 Visa begins with the U.S. Citizen fiancé(e) filing a petition and upon approval the foreign national interviews at the consulate for a nonimmigrant visa. A K-1 visa is ideal for couples who wish to get married in the United States.

What are the requirements of K-1 fiancé(e) Visa?
• One person in the couple must be a U.S. citizen
• Both the foreign national fiancé(e) (the K-1 beneficiary) and the petitioner must be free to marry – all prior marriages must have been terminated through death, divorce, or annulment.
• Both K-1 petitioner and the beneficiary must have met in person within the last two (2) years unless meeting would create an extreme hardship or other exceptions apply.
• K-1 visa fiancé(e) wants to enter solely to marry his/her K-1 petitioner for bona fide purposes.
• Marriage must take place within 90 days after entry to the U.S. on the K visa.

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Application Process
• The U.S. citizen fiancé(e) must start a K-1 Visa in the U.S. on behalf of the foreign fiancé(e). A decision on the petition will be made in the U.S.
• Once the initial filing is approved, the K-1 petition will be forwarded to the National Visa Center and the overseas consulate post where the foreign fiancé(e) resides.
• A fiancé(e) visa interview will be scheduled. The general purpose of the K-1 interview is to ascertain that the fiancé(e) relationship is genuine, and the overseas fiancé is admissible.
• Once the K-1 visa is approved, the K-1 visa holder has generally six months to enter the U.S. before the expiration of the visa.
• Upon entering the U.S. on the K-1 fiancé(e) visa, the foreign national fiancé(e) must marry the U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within ninety (90) days.
• WARNING: after marriage, the foreign national fiancé(e) must file to adjust status to that of a permanent resident. We also provide services for this step.
Contact us
You are more likely to be approved for a Fiancé(e) visa if you work with a lawyer. We have the necessary experience and can give you advice on how to complete the application.
We can also give you advice on what evidence to include in your application. Call us today at 847-258-9954, or email us by clicking here, or schedule an appointment by clicking here.